Monday, October 10, 2011

Bernard Baudry 2009 Chinon "Les Grezeaux"


 
     Ah, Cabernet Franc!  I became a fan of Loire reds back in 2004 or so while I was home from West Point for Christmas or Thanksgiving.  My friend Beth's father introduced me to Loire reds, Adventures on the Wine Route by Kermit Lynch, and a love for fine, natural vino.  Its strange how chance encounters with people throughout your life lead you to important personal discoveries.  I am sure that I would have found wine eventually, but Mr. Fadeley piqued an interest for me that will probably continue until I die.
     Back to the matter at hand.  I recently picked up a mixed case from Addy Bassin's Macarthur's Beverage over in Georgetown.  I'm not sure who this Addy fellow is, but he runs a mighty fine wine shop that I plan on patronizing as long as I'm here.  One of the folks recommended this one in honor of Joe Dressner, a fine importer, who died recently.  I'm working through several cases of 2005 Loire red from various Kermit Lynch folks, so I didn't really plan on a $27 Chinon, but I'm glad I did.  This wine represents what a great Cab Franc from Loire can do.  It has nuance and complexity and a little bit of leathery beefiness in the background just to let you know that its from good stock.  For me, Loire reds are quintessential autumn wines and this one is no exception.  I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment