Friday, October 21, 2011

2005 Domaine De La Chanteleuserie Bourgueil Red Loire

     So, back in 2006 and 2007, I had the pleasure of spending 15 months or so in the lovely country of Iraq.  What to do. . . what to do?  Well, thanks to Kermit Lynch's monthly newsletters, I read about the great 2005 vintage for cabernet franc in the Loire.  Alas, with tax free income, free time, and near-beer, I bought some wine and had it shipped to Olivia in Louisville for future consumption.  Having fallen in love with Loire reds, I decided that six or seven cases would do the trick.
     Fast forward to 2011.  I am down to about four cases of this Loire red from 2005.  Its a mix of Catherine Breton, Charles Jouguet, and this lovely Bourgueil.  However, I don't know how long this stuff will last.  I have had some problems with the Breton.  All three of these wines are unfiltered and extremely natural.  That means sediment!  I love sediment.  To me, finding purple gunk in the bottom of my glass is a good sign that nobody's monkeyed with it too much.
     So, as I work through my Loires, I can't promise a review of every one.  However, it seemed appropriate since I haven't reviewed it yet.  This one is drinking quite well.  It has nice minerality, some beefiness, and a nice long finish.  The summation of these qualities is a lovely wine that seems perfect as the temps are starting to cool.  I'm not sure how Loire reds would taste in the summer.  Probably just fine, but right now they're hitting the spot and I've got plenty of them.  So, bottoms up!

No comments:

Post a Comment